Exploring the Population of Victoria BC: A Comprehensive Look

Wondering how many people live in Victoria, British Columbia? A stunning city located on the southern tip of Vancouver Island, it's the capital of British Columbia and home to a population of over 92,000 people - although the latest data is from back in 2017. Victoria is renowned for its mild climate, picturesque scenery, and vibrant culture. It has been named one of the top cities in Canada to live in and is a popular tourist destination.

The population of Victoria has grown steadily over the past few decades. In 2011, the population was estimated to be 78,057. By 2016, this number had increased to 85,792. This growth can be attributed to a number of factors, including an influx of immigrants from other parts of Canada and abroad and an increase in the number of people moving to Victoria from other parts of British Columbia. Victoria's population is diverse and includes people from all walks of life. According to the 2016 census, the city's population is made up of approximately 60% Canadian-born citizens, with the remaining 40% being immigrants from other countries. The largest immigrant groups are from China, India, and the Philippines. Victoria's population is also quite young.

It's important to distinguish between the population of Victoria BC proper and the population of what's known as the Greater Victoria Area which include 13 cities, towns and district municipalities around Victoria. As of 2021, the number of people living in the Greater Victoria Area was just under 400,000. Check out Wikipedia for more information on what cities, towns and districts are included in the GVA.

According to Statistics Canada, as of the last census in 2016, the average age in Victoria is 44.5 years old, which is higher than the national average of 41.7 years old. This is likely due to the fact that many old people are drawn to Victoria as a retirement city, renowned for its vibrant culture and quality of life. Victoria's population growth has been accompanied by an increase in housing prices. According to the Canadian Real Estate Association, the Multiple Listing ServiceĀ® Home Price Index benchmark value for a single family home in the Victoria Core in October 2022 was $1,257,100, almost double that of the Canadian average of $656,625. 

In addition, Victoria has become a hub for technology companies and start-ups. Victoria's population growth has also affected its infrastructure. The city has seen increased public transportation options and improvements to its roads and bridges. In addition, there have been investments in public parks and recreational facilities. Victoria's population growth has been beneficial for both residents and visitors alike. The city offers a wide range of activities and attractions that appeal to all ages and interests.

From its stunning scenery to its vibrant culture, Victoria is a great place to live or visit.

Conclusion

Victoria BC is an amazing city with a population of over 92,000 people. It has experienced steady growth over recent years due to an influx of immigrants from other parts of Canada and abroad as well as an increase in people moving from other parts of British Columbia. The city's population is diverse and includes people from all walks of life, with the largest immigrant groups being from China, India, and the Philippines. Victoria's population growth has had a positive impact on its economy as well as its infrastructure.